You can find the slides I presented here:
Please let me know if you have any questions at all about the presentation.
A Question: What Can We Share Externally in SharePoint Online?One of the topics we talked about during the presentation was External Sharing. We covered when to use external sharing and how to use it safely, so that you protect your data from being shared with the wrong people.
A great question that came up was can you share libraries, lists or folders externally? Or is external sharing still limited to only sites and documents? I mentioned that only sites and documents could be shared externally, but I was challenged on that so I thought I would double check.
The answer is you can also share Folders externally. Libraries and Lists still may not be shared externally.
So, as we always have, we can share sites and documents through external sharing, which is only in the following scenarios:
- Sites can only be externally shared if you require users to authenticate with a Microsoft account or Office 365 account. This can apply to a site collection or subsite, so you can only share a subsite externally if you choose to.
- Documents can also be shared externally and require external users to authenticate.
- Documents can also be shared externally through guest links, which can be used anonymously. However, this option is only available if permitted by Global Admins and SharePoint Online Admins. There are controls both in the Office 365 tenant admin center, and in the SharePoint Online admin center which allow you to control the types of sharing permitted.
- Folders can also be shared externally and require external users to authenticate.
- Folders can also be shared externally through guest links, which can be used anonymously. Again, this option is only available if permitted by Global Admins and SharePoint Online Admins.