There are several methods of doing this which do not work because SharePoint will actually remove the carriage returns and new lines. There are other methods which do work.
When including carriage returns and new lines in a link, we need to escape those characters so that web browsers can interpret them correctly.
- The carriage return is escaped with %0D
- The new line is escaped with %0A
- If you want to have text start on one line, then move to the next line, you need to include: %0D%0A
- If you want to have an empty line between two lines of text, you would simply double the pattern: %0D%0A%0D%0A
- On the site page add a Content Editor web part
- Edit the web part you just added